Sunday, May 27, 2012

Yarn Dyeing

I tried my hand at dyeing yarn again this weekend. This time with Wilton's food dye. The result was interesting, and the colour split up quite a lot. It came out purple, pink and blue! I'm going to use it to knit up Goodale Sweater.
The formula:
  • Knit Picks Peruvian Highland Wool in Fingering
  • Wilton's Violet Icing Dye
  • Vinegar
Steps I took:
  • Soaked the yarn in lukewarm water for about 30 minutes.
  • Heated up a full pot of water on high (electric stove). When steam began rising, I turned it down to 4 and put in the yarn.
  • Let the water heat back up with the yarn in it.
  • Mixed about 1/2 teaspoon (heaping) of Violet to about 1 cup boiling water.
  • Added the dye to the pot.
  • Left to simmer on 4 for about 20-30 minutes.
  • Poured in 1 cup of vinegar.
  • Watched the magic happen.
  • When the water came out on a spoon clear, I made the mistake to empty the pot of water. I should have let the water and yarn cool together.
  • Let the yarn cool without its water.
  • Rinsed. No colour ran!!
  • Hung to dry.

1 comment:

Bruce said...

Post looks great on mobile! I still can't believe that the water ran clear! Does it taste like icing?